Please note: SSN is applicable for US hires, SIN for Canadian hires, and Individual Tax I.D. Number (ITIN) for international hires. This article references SSN only, however the instructions are the same whether the SSN, SIN, or ITIN is incorrect.
An employee enters their Social Security Number (SSN) during the Startwork submission process (see Step 5 of How to complete & submit Startwork in TIM).
If the employee has mistyped their SSN, production will need to provide the employee the opportunity to re-submit their Startwork so they can re-enter their SSN. See instructions below.
First, correct the I-9:
This is applicable to US hires only. If the employee did not receive an I-9, you can skip this!
For instructions, see:
- An employee's I-9 is not verified yet, and it needs to be corrected. How do I do this?
- An employee's I-9 has already been verified. Can I correct it?*
* Please note: If the employee's I-9 is verified and their Startwork is Fully Approved, there is no way to send another I-9 via TiM. Therefore, to display the full SSN, the I-9 must be printed and corrected outside of the system, per USCIS regulation.
- There is a log of logic built into Form I-9 within TiM. Do not upload a PDF of Form I-9 as a Special Packet. Click here to learn why.
Then, correct the rest of the packet:
How to correct Startwork after it's submitted depends on the Startwork status.
If the employee's Startwork is not yet Fully Approved:
Bounce the existing packet back to the employee so they can re-enter their SSN.
For instructions, see:
If the employee's Startwork is already Fully Approved:
Build a Special Packet that contains the documents that reflect the SSN and share it with the employee to allow them to resubmit.
For instructions, see: How to build & share a Special Packet
- Pro Tip: A shortcut is to duplicate the packet the employee originally received. To do this:
- From your Project dashboard, go to Startwork Templates.
- Select "Special Packets."
- Select "Build a Special Packet."
- Under "Insert Forms," from the drop down select the category "[Project Name] Templates."
- A second drop down will appear. Select the Packet you want to duplicate.
- Click "Insert." You will see the entire packet populate.
- Click "Save and Exit."
- Click "Publish" to finalize the duplicate.
Please sign in to leave a comment.