Please note that it is best practice in TiM to verify a Form I-9 ASAP after an employee submits the form, to ensure it is verified in a timely manner. Per USCIS regulations, "Employers must complete and sign Section 2 of Form I-9... within 3 business days of the date of hire of their employee."
For instructions, see: How to verify an I-9 in TiM (Completing Section 2 of Form I-9)
If you are unable to verify the employee's I-9 at this moment, but need to bounce their Startwork back, you can shred the I-9 and then select to send the employee a fresh I-9.
How to Shred an I-9 in TIM:
NOTE: Users with Verify I-9 (Whole Crew or Department Only) are able to shred I-9s in TiM.
- From either Crew Management or the Approval Pipeline, select "Verify I-9."
- A pop-up will appear. Select "Continue to Verify."
- At the top left, select "Shred this I-9."
- A prompt will appear. Type "Shred this I-9" in the text entry field (case sensitive).
- Click "Continue & Shred I-9."
How to send a fresh I-9 to an employee, after their original I-9 was shredded:
Only users with Approve Startwork as: Startwork Gatekeeper Permission can re-share a fresh I-9. This is done from the Gatekeeper review step.
- Go to the Approval Pipeline.
- Click the yellow "Review" button to access Employment Details.
- At the top of the screen, select "Click here to edit employment details or send back a different packet." This will activate the Employment Details to be modified.
- Scroll down and DE-select the check box next to "Do not include a Form I-9 in this employee's Startwork packet" (see image below).
- Click "Send back to Crewmember."
NOTE: This will send the employee a fresh I-9, and prompt them to re-submit their entire packet. However, all their previously recorded answers will be retained, so re-submitting their packet should take less than two minutes!
NOTE: There is a log of logic built into Form I-9 within TiM. Do not upload a PDF of Form I-9 as a Special Packet. Click here to learn why.
Please sign in to leave a comment.