With the enactment of the federal Tax Cuts and Jobs Act in December 2017, the IRS (and therefore TiM) released a revised Employee Withholding Allowance Certificate (2020 Form W-4) on January 1, 2020. All new hires must use the new W-4. Additionally, any employees hired prior to 2020 who want to adjust their withholding must use the new W-4.
FYIs for Crewmembers regarding the 2020 W-4:
- Your default W-4 information is stored within your TIM Profile.
- You can view or edit your default W-4 information from your Profile at any time by selecting “View/Edit Default W-4 Info.”
- TiM users are no longer required to enter W-4 information to complete their Profile at initial sign up (good news for loan-outs!).
- If you skip completing your W-4 when you create your TiM Account, and you are later sent a Startwork packet to complete that includes a 2020 W-4, you will be required to complete the form before submitting the new Startwork.
- The biggest change with the 2020 W-4 is the elimination of withholding allowances. Speak to a tax professional if you need specific guidance on how to complete the W-4.
How to submit a 2020 W-4 in TiM:
After accepting your terms of employment, TiM will ask you to complete or review your W-4 information.
If you do not have default W-4 information within your TiM Profile, TiM will redirect you to the W-4 Viewer, so you can complete the form in this moment.
The good news is, once you save your default W-4 information in TiM, you will never have to complete this form from scratch again!
NOTE: The TiM Team are not tax professionals. The functionality described below does not offer specific guidance on exactly what dollar amounts to enter onto your W-4. If you need further instruction, please speak to a tax professional or visit IRS.gov.
Step 1: Enter Personal Information
Notice that your name, address, and social security number are grayed out. You do not need to interact with this area at this time because this information will be pre-populated later.
Select your Marital Status by checking one of the three available checkboxes.
Step 2: Multiple Jobs or Spouse Works
Select or skip the checkbox next to option c. To skip, click the blue "Skip" button next to the checkbox.
Please read the instructions printed on the form to understand the selection you are making.
Pro Tip: You can reference the W-4 Worksheets while you complete your 2020 W-4.
- Click/Tap the thumbnails at the top of the screen to access the worksheet pages.
- TiM has built special logic, so if amounts are entered within the worksheets, calculated amounts will appear as necessary on page 1. These calculations can be edited further directly on page 1 if necessary.
- Once you're finished using your worksheets, click back into page 1 to return to completing your W-4.
NOTE: These worksheet pages will not be received by production when you submit your W-4 (typically worksheets are only retained by the employee and not submitted to employers). You are able to access your worksheets at any time from My Profile > “View/Edit W-4.”
Step 3: Claim Dependents
Either enter specific dollar amounts into each of the three available fields, or click "skip?" to skip these fields if you do not need to claim dependents.
Step 4. Other Adjustments
Either enter specific dollar amounts into each of the three available fields, or click "skip?" to skip these fields if you do not need to claim other adjustments.
Step 5. Sign Here (You will not apply your signature at this time!)
Notice that your Signature Field is grayed out. You do not need to interact with this area at this time because your signature will be collected later, when your Startwork is submitted.
Step 6. Click "Save and Continue" to proceed.
After you complete your W-4 information, you will proceed to the Personal Information Entry Screen. You will be prompted to enter your Social Security Number, and, if applicable, your Bank Information (NOTE: This sensitive information is not stored long term in TiM).
Pro Tip: On this screen, you will also see a summary of your W-4 information. If you need to revise this info, click "Edit W-4 Information" to return to the W-4 Viewer.
Step 7. Click "Continue to Startwork" to proceed to the Startwork submission step.
For detailed guidance on the entire Startwork submission process in TiM, see:
Pro Tip: You can edit your W-4 during the Startwork submission step, if necessary.
If you've proceeded into your Startwork packet, you can make changes to your W-4 directly onto the form, if necessary.
NOTE: Any changes made to the W-4 at the submission step will not update your default W-4 Information saved within your Profile. However, these changes will be submitted to production.
To make changes at the Startwork submission step, just click on the W-4 thumbnail, scroll down, and interact with the fields as necessary.
Step 8. Click "Sign All Pages & Submit" to complete your Startwork submission.