After an employee submits their Startwork via TiM, the completed Startwork will typically need to be exported to payroll, the studio, or another stakeholder, for processing or filing.
The information below outlines what to expect if you are a stakeholder who expects to receive completed Startwork from a Project onboarding via TiM.
What is different about Startwork exported from TiM?
Startwork exported from TiM is the same as receiving scans of Startwork completed on paper, except better!
When you receive completed Startwork from TiM:
- All information is clearly printed on the forms, you don't have to interpret handwriting!
- PDFs are received securely via a download link (versus attaching PDFs to an email), to protect the sensitive information contained within the documents.
- Each record file is auto-named with the employee's name, type of packet, name of Project, and date sent/downloaded, for easy reference.
- You have the option to download each employee's record separately, or as one giant PDF!
- The forms clients use in TiM are the same forms you'll receive in the physical world. For example, there is no "TiM version" of the federal W-4, union dues form, or even your payroll service's start form. All forms exported from TiM were built based on real-life forms, so there are no surprises!
How to receive Startwork exported from TiM
- You will receive an email from email@example.com with a subject line similar to, "Payroll forms for [NAME OF PROJECT]".
- In the email, there will be a link to download the Startwork. The email and the link look like this:
- Click "Pick Up Your Batch Here."
- This will open the "Batch Pickup" page that asks you for a Pick Up Code,* which is essentially a password.
*If you are not asked for a Pick Up Code, it means there is no password requirement for download. You can skip to Step 5.
If you do not know your Pick Up Code, ask production. The name of the person who exported the batch is included in the email. A Pick Up Code it is set by production; it is not provided by TiM. For more information, see: What is a Pick Up Code?
- Type in the Pick Up Code, then select "Validate this code."
- This will take you to the page to download the Startwork, which looks like this:
- Click the "Download" button, and the files will download to your local device. Depending on your computer and browser settings, you might be prompted to choose a location for the files to be downloaded.
You have the option to download the Startwork as individual files separated by employee, or as one giant PDF. For one giant PDF, select "click here instead" (lower right corner of the above image).
If you're downloading a large batch with many records, a .zip file might be created.
When the PDFs are downloaded, each employee record will be named in the same convention: the employee's name, type of packet, name of Project, and date exported.
John Smith_Non-Union Packet_NameofProject_YYYY_MM_DD_Packet.pdf
Startwork is never exported from TiM automatically. If you have received Startwork from TiM, it means that a human triggered the export!
- The name and email address of the person who initiated the export is included in the email notification. Contact production with any Startwork-related questions, and feel free to contact TiM Support with any TiM-related questions or technical issues!
TiM does what it can to reduce mistakes on Startwork, but not all human error can be avoided. So, any Startwork received from TiM should still be checked for quality assurance.
For example, TiM can't tell if an employee enters their SSN incorrectly, or if production accidentally enters a rate as $2000 per hour instead of $20 per hour. Be sure to always vet TiM Startwork, just like any other Startwork you would receive!
When downloading Startwork from TiM, you might be prompted to provide a "Pick Up Code" (a password) in order to access the download link. Ask your production contact for the Pick Up Code assigned to the Project.
Please note, a Pick Up Code it is set by production; it is not provided by TiM. For more information, see: What is a Pick Up Code?
- When you receive Startwork from TiM, download it ASAP because download links expire after 5 days (120 hours) for security purposes, to prevent documents containing sensitive information from sitting in people's email inboxes for long periods of time.
- Startwork can easily be re-exported if this window is missed.
- If you receive Startwork that contains asterisks instead of full Social Security Numbers or Bank Account Information, it is because sensitive information is stored in TiM for a limited amount of time, and then that information is redacted and appears as asterisks instead.
In this case, production will need to take steps to re-collect the Startwork from the employee. Information for production can be found here: When I view Startwork, I see asterisks instead of SSN or Bank Info. What does this mean and what do I do?
If you're having any technical issues, feel free to contact TiM Support directly! TiM Specialists are happy to troubleshoot with paymasters, payroll coordinators, Studio Execs, or any digital Startwork recipient regarding TiM-related issues or questions.
No need to involve production - they've got enough on their plate, and so do you! TiM Support can diagnose any issues and loop in production if/when necessary.
Please sign in to leave a comment.