The reason you're seeing asterisks instead of the full number is because Sensitive information such as Social Security Numbers and Bank Account Information is stored in TiM for only 30 days after the Startwork is submitted by the employee, or Fully Approved -- whichever is later. After 30 days, that information is redacted and appears as asterisks instead.
You can confirm the date Startwork was submitted or Fully Approved by viewing the employee's History, located at the bottom of their Employment Details.
Currently in TiM, there is no way to "recover" redacted information. Therefore, to resolve, the employee will need to resubmit their Startwork.
If the Startwork is not yet Fully Approved, you can just bounce the existing packet back to the employee so they can re-enter their sensitive information.
If the Startwork is already Fully Approved, you can build a Special Packet that contains the appropriate Startwork, and share it with the employee to allow them to resubmit.
- Pro Tip: A shortcut is to duplicate the packet the employee originally received. To do this:
- From your Project dashboard, go to Startwork Templates.
- Select "Special Packets."
- Select "Build a Special Packet."
- Under "Insert Forms," from the drop down select the category "[Project Name] Templates."
- A second drop down will appear. Select the Packet you want to duplicate.
- Click "Insert." You will see the entire packet populate.
- Click "Save and Exit."
- Click "Publish" to finalize the duplicate.
NOTE: If the employee's I-9 is verified and their Startwork is Fully Approved, there is no way to send another I-9 via TiM. Therefore, to display the full SSN, the I-9 must be printed and corrected outside of the system, per USCIS regulation.
- There is a log of logic built into Form I-9 within TiM. Do not upload a PDF of Form I-9 as a Special Packet. Click here to learn why.
Friendly reminder to export the re-submitted Startwork to payroll ASAP after the employee submits. This will ensure information is not redacted. Startwork does not need to be Fully Approved to be able to export it to payroll. Click here for instructions on how to export Startwork from TiM.