If an employee submits an I-9 and you don't need it, you can shred the I-9. See instructions below.
Shredding an I-9 is documented in a user's History, so TiM will log the fact that an I-9 was submitted and then shredded.
Pro Tip: If an I-9 was submitted with incorrect information, and then I-9 has not been verified yet, you do not need to shred the I-9 and prompt the employee to submit a fresh I-9. Instead, a verifier can use the "Add Text" tool during the verification step to apply corrections to Section 1.
Correcting I-9s is a great way to move forward with verification in a timely manner. Friendly reminder that per USCIS regulations, an employee's I-9 must be verified within the first three days of employment.
For instructions, see: An employee's I-9 is not verified yet, and it needs to be corrected. How do I do this?
How to shred an I-9
The steps below can only be completed by a user with Verify I-9 Permission.
- From Crew Management or the Approval Pipeline, select "Verify I-9."
- A pop up will appear. Select "Continue to Verify."
- Once the pop up clears, at the top left select "Shred this I-9."
- A pop up will appear. Follow the prompt to type "Shred this I-9" into the entry point.
- Note: This prompt is a precaution, to ensure I-9s aren't shredded without a second thought!