A Startwork Gatekeeper is anyone granted the "Approve Startwork as: Startwork Gatekeeper" Permission.
In TIM, the approval process always starts with a Startwork Gatekeeper. Startwork Gatekeepers are the first to review Startwork once it is submitted by employees, regardless of the Gatekeeper's real-life position or Job Description.
The Startwork Gatekeeper review step is built-in to TiM functionality and cannot be skipped. This is to ensure there is at least one review step before a packet is considered Fully Approved.
At least one person on every Project must be granted the "Approve As: Startwork Gatekeeper" Permission. Like with any other Permission, you can assign multiple people the Startwork Gatekeeper Permission.
Startwork Gatekeepers have the following abilities:
- Startwork Gatekeepers are always the first to review Startwork once it is submitted by employees.
- Other Approvers cannot approve Startwork until the Gatekeeper's Review is complete.
- Gatekeepers can download Startwork and send Startwork to recipients.
- Only Gatekeepers have the ability to edit an employee's Employment Details after their Startwork is submitted, and bounce the Startwork back to employees to resign and submit.
- If another Approver identifies that Startwork needs to be corrected, they must bounce the Startwork back to the Gatekeeper first, with a note about what needs to change. Then, the Gatekeeper handles making the correction.
For more information, see: How to approve Startwork in TiM
How to consider the Startwork Gatekeeper when you create your approval workflow:
Since the Gatekeeper review step is built-in to TiM functionality, you can set up your approval workflow so a Gatekeeper reviews packets but does not sign, or so the Gatekeeper signs during their review.
- Apply a Startwork Gatekeeper Approval Signature Field to your Templates if you want your Gatekeeper to sign Startwork during their review.
- If you want your Gatekeeper to review Startwork but do not need them to sign any forms, simply do not apply a Startwork Gatekeeper Approval Signature Field, and the Gatekeeper review step will be retained anyway.
The Startwork Gatekeeper column is always present in the Approval Pipeline. All other columns in the Approval Pipeline appear only when corresponding Approval Signature Fields are applied to Startwork Templates. The Gatekeeper review step does not depend on its Signature Field.