You can customize the Startwork approval process in TiM, because your workflow may vary from Project to Project. One Project may require multiple Approval Signatures to Fully Approve packets, another Project may require only one Approval Signature. Some production teams like all submitted packets to be reviewed before being passed to Approvers, while others do not.
Your approval process in TiM is created in two steps. First, Approval Signatures are added to Startwork Templates in the Builder. When an Approval Signature Field is added to a packet, a corresponding approval column appears in the Approval Pipeline. Second, corresponding Approval Permissions are granted in the Permissions area of the Employee Invite. The Permission corresponding to the Signature Field can then be granted to anyone on a Project that needs it.
Click HERE for more information about how to build your Startwork to compliment your workflow.
The approval process in TiM, start to finish:
Step 1. An Employee Invite is sent.
A packet appears in the Approval Pipeline once an Invite is sent.
Step 2. The employee accepts their Employment Details.
In the Approval Pipeline, an employee's Startwork status appears as "Startwork not yet submitted" to indicate that the employee has accepted their Invite, but has not yet signed &submitted their Startwork packet.
Step 3. The employee submits their I-9, then the rest of their Startwork documents.
In TiM, if an employee is sent an I-9, the I-9 is always submitted before the rest of their Startwork documents (per USCIS regulations, Section 2 of the I-9 must be completed within the employee's first three days of employment).
Once an I-9 is submitted by the employee, you will see a red "Verify I-9" button appear next to their name in the Approval Pipeline.
Step 4. Verify the I-9
In TiM, an I-9 must be verified before the rest of the Startwork packet can be reviewed.
Step 5. Gatekeeper Review
Once a packet is submitted by an employee and their I-9 is verified (if applicable), a yellow "Review" button will show to anyone granted "Approve Startwork as: Startwork Gatekeeper" Permission.
The Startwork Gatekeeper review step is built-in to TiM functionality and cannot be skipped. At least one person on your Project should be assigned "Approve Startwork as Startwork Gatekeeper" Permission. Multiple people can be assigned this Permission.
To review Startwork as Gatekeeper:
- Click the yellow "Review" button.
- You are first shown the employee's Employment Details.
- If all Employment Details are correct, click "Continue to Startwork".
- If Employment Details need to be edited, click "Edit Employment Details" at the top of the screen.
- When you click "Continue to Startwork", you are then shown the employee's Startwork documents.
- The thumbnails highlighted in yellow indicate pages that require a Gatekeeper's signature.
NOTE: If no thumbnails are highlighted, it means that the Gatekeeper Approval Signature Field has not been applied to packets, most likely because the Gatekeeper is expected to review packets only (not sign them).
- Click "I am done reviewing this packet" to complete the review process (if you prefer, you can click onto each thumbnail and manually apply your Electronic Signature to each page).
NOTE: A Gatekeeper can write internal notes on the Startwork packet using the Add Text tool. These notes will appear in blue font on the Startwork PDF to any upstream Approvers or anyone the Startwork is sent to. Employees are not notified if notes are added to Startwork, but if notes are applied and then the packet is bounced back to the employee, the notes will be visible to the employee.
Step 6. Packet is pushed from Gatekeeper to upstream Approvers (may not apply to your Project - depends on your workflow)
If your Project's Startwork require multiple signatures to be Fully Approved, once a Gatekeeper reviews a packet, the yellow "Review" button will turn into an "Approve" button - the color of the button will correspond with the type of Approval that is required next (the type of Approval Signature Field that was added to this packet in the Builder).
For example, if a UPM is needed next to approve packets, they will see a blue "Approve" button. If a Line producer is next to approve packets, they will see an orange "Approve" button.
NOTE: Your permissions determine your Approval access. If you see an Approval Column, but it is grayed out, your Permissions are not set to allow access to that type of Approval. Ask a member of your team to edit your Permissions via Crew Management > "permissions".
To approve Startwork as an 'upstream Approver':
- Click the "Approve" button to access the packet in order to approve it.
- You are first shown the employee's Employment Details.
If all Employment Details are correct:
- Click "Continue to Startwork".
- You are then shown the employee's Startwork documents.
- The highlighted thumbnails indicate pages that require an Approver's Signature.
- Click "Sign & Submit" to place your Electronic Signature everywhere it needs to go and complete the Approval.
- If you prefer, you can click onto each thumbnail and manually apply your Electronic Signature.
If Employment Details need to be edited:
- Click "Send back to Startwork Gatekeeper".
- A pop up will appear, to prompt you to enter a note to tell the Gatekeeper why the Startwork needs to be revised.
- This note will appear on record in the employee's audit history.
- Click "Send back".
- The "Approve" button will disappear, the packet will return to the Startwork Gatekeeper review step, and a Flag icon will appear to show that the Startwork needs to be corrected.
Step 5. Packet is Fully Approved
When a packet receives all the required Approval Signatures, it is considered Fully Approved.
Once a packet is Fully Approved, it cannot be edited further or deleted. If you discover an error, you can send the employee a fresh packet by building and sharing a Special packet. Once submitted by an employee, a Special Packet appears in the Approval Pipeline and is Approved just like any other packet.
Read next: How to send Startwork to payroll