In TiM, if you are granted the Permission to "Approve Startwork as:..." a Production Accountant, UPM, AUPM, Production Supervisor, Line Producer, or Studio Exec, you are considered an "Upstream Approver."
This is because the approval process always starts with the Startwork Gatekeeper, who is always the first person to review packets. Once the Gatekeeper's review is complete, Startwork is passed to Upstream Approvers.
Upstream Approvers cannot approve Startwork until the Gatekeeper's review is complete.
How to approve Startwork as an Upstream Approver:
In TIM, Startwork is approved from the Approval Pipeline. If you do not see the Approval Pipeline on your Project dashboard, it means you have not been granted the proper Permissions. Reach out to someone already connected to the Project to assist you, or email email@example.com.
- From your Project dashboard, select "Approval Pipeline."
- By default, the Approval Pipeline is sorted by packets that are pending your review first.
- Any packets that are ready for your approval will have an "Approve" button next to it.
- Click the "Approve" button to access the packet in order to approve it.
- You are first shown an outline of the employee's Employment Details.
If all Employment Details are correct:
- Select "Continue to Startwork."
- You are then shown the employee's Startwork documents.
- The highlighted thumbnails indicate pages that require your Approval Signature.
- Click "Sign & Submit" to place your Electronic Signature everywhere it needs to go and complete the Approval.
- Or, if you prefer, you can click onto each thumbnail and manually apply your stored Electronic Signature.
If Employment Details need to be edited:
NOTE: Only a Startwork Gatekeeper can edit Employment Details and bounce Startwork directly back to an employee. If the Startwork has passed Gatekeeper review and you discover that someone's Employment Details need to be edited, you must bounce the packet back to the Gatekeeper first, to allow the Startwork Gatekeeper handle editing the Employment Details.
- Select "Send back to Startwork Gatekeeper."
- A pop up will appear, to prompt you to enter a note to tell the Gatekeeper why the Startwork needs to be revised.
- This note will appear on record in the employee's audit history.
- Click "Send back."
- The "Approve" button will disappear, the packet will return to the Startwork Gatekeeper review step, and a Flag icon will appear to show that the Startwork needs to be corrected.
Pro Tip: If necessary, Approvers can write internal notes on the Startwork packet using the Add Text tool. These notes will appear in blue font on the Startwork PDF to any upstream Approvers or anyone the Startwork is sent to. Employees are not notified if notes are added to Startwork, but if notes are applied and then the packet is bounced back to the employee, the notes will be visible to the employee.