Short answer: There was no Line Producer (or UPM, etc.) Approval Signature Field added to the Startwork packet when it was built.
In TiM, when Approval Signature Fields are applied to packets, corresponding approval columns appear on the Approval Pipeline. If a Permission
is granted, but there is no corresponding Signature Field on the packet, that permission will be inactive.
Step 1: Create a new version of your packet, and add an Approval Signature Field to a page in the Startwork Template.
Step 2: Assign the corresponding Permission to the approver who will sign in this Field (Permissions can be assigned at time of Invite or at any time from Crew Management).
Step 3: Now, when the approver goes to the Approval Pipeline, they can view the corresponding column and approve Startwork.
NOTE: The only exception to this rule is the Startwork Gatekeeper permission
. The Startwork Gatekeeper approval step is built-in to TiM functionality and therefore this column is always included in the Approval Pipeline. This is to ensure there is at least one review step before a packet is considered approved.
** If you only have one approver, only add a Startwork Gatekeeper Signature Field and assign this Permission to approvers regardless of their position or title. **
(See below for more information on more approval scenarios)
One Approval Signature is required:
The Startwork Gatekeeper Approval Signature should be placed on your packets and anyone approving packets should be granted Startwork Gatekeeper permission regardless of their job title.
Example: A production's Line Producer is the only person who needs to review and approve packets once they are submitted.
- Add a Startwork Gatekeeper Signature Field to Startwork packets.
- Assign the Line Producer only one permission: "Approve Startwork as: Startwork Gatekeeper".
- The Line Producer will approve packets via the Startwork Gatekeeper column in the Approval Pipeline.
Multiple Approval Signatures are required:
The first person who signs will be the Startwork Gatekeeper, regardless of job title or position. Place the Gatekeeper Signature Field on your packets, then assign them Startwork Gatekeeper Permission
For other people signing, place the Signature Field that corresponds to their title on packets, and then assign corresponding Permissions
Example: Startwork packets are submitted and need to be signed by the Production Supervisor first, then the UPM, followed by the Line Producer.
- Add Gatekeeper, UPM, and Line Producer Signature Fields to Startwork packets (Do not add Production Supervisor Approval Signature).
- Assign the Production Supervisor "Approve Startwork as: Startwork Gatekeeper" permission.
- Assign the UPM "Approve Startwork As: UPM" permission.
- Assign the Line Producer "Approve Startwork as: Line Producer" permission.
Someone reviews (but doesn't sign) and then multiple Approval Signatures are required:
Do not place the Gatekeeper signature on your packets (the Gatekeeper column will appear in the Approval Pipeline regardless of whether or not the Gatekeeper Signature Field is placed in packets. It is a built-in review step even if the Gatekeeper Signature Field isn't placed). Assign the Startwork Gatekeeper Permission
to the first person who will review but not sign, regardless of job title or position.
For other people signing, place the Signature Field that corresponds to their title on packets, and then assign them the corresponding Permission
Example: Submitted packets must first be reviewed by (but not signed by) a Production Accountant, then packets are sent upstream to receive signatures from the Production Supervisor, UPM, and Line Producer.
- Add Production Supervisor, UPM, and Line Producer approval signatures to Startwork packets (do not add Startwork Gatekeeper signature).
- Assign the Production Accountant "Approve Startwork as: Startwork Gatekeeper" Permission (this person's signature will not appear on packets).
- Assign the Production Supervisor "Approve Startwork As: Production Supervisor" Permission.
- Assign the UPM "Approve Startwork As: UPM" Permission.
- Assign the Line Producer "Approve Startwork As: Line Producer" Permission.
In this example, all Startwork will be reviewed by the Production Accountant to make sure packets are complete and correct, and the only Approval Signatures that will appear on packets are those of the UPM, Production Supervisor, and Line Producer once they approve from the Approval Pipeline.