With TiM (Time is Money), when you first sign up you complete a Profile to enter your basic information, then that info is stored within the system and used to populate your Startwork, so you never have to manually fill out a Startwork packet ever again!
You can access TiM to submit Startwork on any internet-connected device. Just go to hellotim.com and sign up or log in.
How to complete & submit Startwork in TiM
1. You will receive an email from TiM inviting you to join the Project
When production invites you to submit Startwork for a Project in TiM, you receive an email notification from firstname.lastname@example.org that contains a link to hellotim.com (see image below).
Pro Tip: The contact information for the person who invited you to the Project is included towards the bottom of the Invite (see image below).
FAQ: Production says they've invited me to the Project but I don't see the email. What's up?
2. If you don't already have a TiM Account, Sign Up!
(If you already have a TiM Account, go to hellotim.com and click "Log In.")
- Follow the link from your Invite, or go directly to the TiM Log In / Sign Up page.
- Enter your name, email, phone number, and create a password.
- Click "Sign Up."
If you need help with Sign Up or Log In, see: Sign Up, Log In, & Account Settings Help
- Once you sign up, TiM will prompt you to create a Profile and choose an Electronic Signature.
The information in your Profile will populate throughout your Startwork and will appear on the Crew Lists for any Project you're connected to in TiM. You can update your Profile at any time by clicking "My Profile" from the header bar.
FAQ: What's the difference between my Profile and my Account Settings?
Once your Profile is completed, TiM will lead you through the Startwork submission process.
3. Accept your Employment Details
- You will see an outline of your Employment Details for the Project. These were defined by production.
Pro Tip: If you think your Employment Details need adjustment, contact the person who invited you to the Project, whose information is listed at the top of your screen (see image below).
- If these terms look complete and correct, click "Accept & Continue to Startwork."
4. Complete your W-4 (if applicable)
If a W-4 is included in your packet, and you do not have default W-4 information stored in TiM, TiM will direct you to complete this form at this moment.
The good news is, once you complete a W-4 in TiM, you will never have to complete this form from scratch ever again!
For detailed instructions, see: How to complete a 2020 W-4 in TiM
5. Enter your Personal Information (not stored long term in TiM)
The next screen prompts to you enter your personal information.
NOTE: Sensitive information is not stored long-term in TiM. Therefore, you will be prompted to enter sensitive information each time you submit Startwork through TiM. Please Contact TiM Support if you have any questions regarding sensitive information in TiM.
- Enter your Social Security Number (or, for international hires: Social Insurance Number or Personal Identification Number).
- From the drop down provided, choose what form of ID you'd like to show to have your I-9 verified.
- If you do not see this drop down, production didn't send you an I-9! You can move on.
- You will see a summary of your W-4 information.
- If you need to revise this info, click "Edit W-4 Information" to open the W-4 viewer.
- If you do not see this summary, a W-4 is not included in your packet. You can move on.
- You might see an option to complete direct deposit info if a direct deposit form has been included in your packet.
- NOTE: It is very likely that you will not see the option to complete your direct deposit information in TiM, because many payroll services now ask employees to register for direct deposit online. For more info, see: How do I sign up for direct deposit?
- Click "Continue to Startwork."
6. Submit your Form I-9 (if applicable)
If you do not see an I-9, production didn't send you one! You can skip this step.
If production included an I-9 in your Startwork, you will be prompted to complete an I-9.
NOTE: Per USCIS regulations, Form I-9 cannot be pre-populated. Instead, TiM will guide you and suggest information to allow you to complete the form as quickly and accurately as possible.
For more information, see: Form I-9 Help
- Start typing your last name into the last name field. You will notice that TiM suggests the rest of the information on the line.
- Click into the leftmost field on the next line, the Address field. TiM again suggests the rest of the information on the line.
- Proceed in this manner and allow TiM to guide you to complete the rest of the form.
- Once all required fields are completed, click "Sign Here" to apply your signature and submit the I-9.
- A pop up will appear with a statement of attestation. Accept this to complete and submit your I-9.
For detailed instructions, see: How to submit an I-9 in TiM (Completing Section 1 of Form I-9)
7. Submit the rest of your Startwork packet
TiM will pull up your packet, and your screen will look similar to the image below. Notice that the pages of your packet are represented as thumbnails.
TiM will automatically focus you on the first requirement in your packet. However, you can feel free to click on the page thumbnails, then scroll down to review the selected pages, to review the contents of your packet.
Notice that all of your personal information has flowed from the initial points of entry, to pre-populate your entire packet!
- Click "Next" to be brought to the next required field.
- Click "Sign Here" to apply your signature.
- Or, you might be prompted to select a checkmark or enter some required text.
- Once all required fields are completed on a page, TiM will bring you to the next page that contains a requirement.
- Notice that the page thumbnails highlight green once all requirements are completed on the page.
- Notice that there is a ticker beside the "Next" button that tracks how many required fields are left in your packet.
- Once all requirements throughout the entire packet are complete, the "Next" button will change to "Submit Packet."
- Click "Submit Packet" to submit your completed Startwork to production.
- If any of your personal information is incorrect, click "My Profile" at the top of the screen, edit your Profile, and click "Save & continue to Startwork" to return to the submission process. Your information will be updated in real time.
- For more info, see: There's wrong information on my Startwork. What do I do?
- Need to sign "As per Local ___"? You can do that in TiM!
- For instructions, see: How to sign Startwork "As Per Local ___"
8. Submit Supporting Documents, if necessary
Right after you submit your Startwork, TiM will ask you, "Are there any documents you would like to submit with this packet?" Examples of Attachments would be a Box/Kit Inventory list or Articles of Incorporation.
If you do not need to submit Attachments, click "Continue" and skip to the next step.
To upload and share Attachments:*
- Click "Select a category to upload something new..."
- Select a category to file this document in TiM.
- Click "Choose File."
- Select the file from your device.
- Click "Continue."
If you already have Attachments uploaded to My Documents:
- Select the checkboxes next to the file name(s).
- Click "Continue."
TiM will send your documents to production!
For more detailed instructions, see: How to submit supporting documents with your Startwork at the time of submission
*Pro Tip: If you don't have your documents ready in the moment, you can always come back and submit Attachments at any time! For more info, see: How to upload and share attachments at any time
Once you submit your packet, you will see the "Done!" screen, which displays a list of people already connected to the Project who are able to verify your I-9 in TiM.
You will also see a summary of your Permissions on this Project, ie: what you are able to see and access in TiM for this Project.
- Click "Got it!" to return to your Project dashboard.
NOTE: Your Startwork can be bounced back to you by production after your initial submission. In fact, TiM forces production to bounce your Startwork back to you if your Startwork needs revision for any reason (for example, your terms of employment change or if there was a mistake with the forms in your original packet). In this way, TiM maintains transparency between employer and employee so you are always kept in the loop about your terms of employment.
Read Next: New to TiM? Here's TiM 101
Please sign in to leave a comment.